All you need to know about permits for subsea reservoirs on the Norwegian continental shelf for injection and storage of CO2 in 2021.
Announcement: Award of area for storage of CO2 on the Norwegian continental shelf 2021
On 10 September 2021, the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy announced two areas for storage of CO₂ according to the Regulations of 5 December 2014 No. 1517 relating to exploitation of subsea reservoirs on the continental shelf for storage of CO₂ and relating to transportation of CO₂ on the continental shelf.
The area encompasses defined blocks in the North Sea and Barents Sea.
The application deadline is 9 December 2021 at 12:00. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications well before the deadline.
The predefined areas encompass one area in the Barents Sea and one area in the North Sea, see maps and coordinates below.
Map of available acreage
The Barents Sea:
The North Sea:
Table with coordinates
- CO2 Storage Atlas, Norwegian Continental Shelf
- NPD CO2 factmap
- Regulations relating to exploitation of subsea reservoirs on the continental shelf for storage of CO₂ and relating to transportation of CO₂ on the continental shelf
- Regulations relating to materials and documentation in connection with surveys for and utilisation of subsea reservoirs on the continental shelf to store CO₂
- Open data including block coordinates for the announced area
How to apply
Each company that applies for licences must submit the following to the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy (MPE) with a copy to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD:
- Application letter, company information and receipt for paid application fee
The submission to the MPE and NPD shall be sent via L2S Authority Communication or via Altinn.
1. Application letter, company information and receipt for paid application fee
The formal application letter with an overview of all applications the company is participating in, both individually and as a participant in group application(s), shall be submitted together with the company information. See Guideline to application letter and company information (pdf) for more information.
A fee of NOK 109,000 must be paid for each application. When several companies join in a group application to apply for a licence, this counts as one application.
One of the members of the group pays the fee. Payment shall be made to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, account no.: 7694.05.00326, marked “CO2-storage”.
A copy of the receipt must be enclosed with the application letter from the company.
Each application for a licence must be submitted in electronic format to the MPE and the NPD. See Guideline for application for permit for CO2-storage (pdf) for more information..
- Guide to application letter and company information (pdf)
- Guide to application for permit for CO2-storage (pdf)
Forms that must be completed
Other application information